Lux Capital: Investing in Category Defining, Frontier Industries
Deena Shakir is a partner at Lux Capital, a $2.4Bn stage and sector...
cc: growth journeys from emerging ecosystems to global markets.
Deena Shakir is a partner at Lux Capital, a $2.4Bn stage and sector agnostic VC firm, that is looking to back mission driven entrepreneurs in frontier sectors. Deena is the first-generation daughter of immigrants from Iraq and has grown up in Silicon Valley, even before she realized she wanted a career in tech. A former journalist and then a diplomat, Deena led strategic partnerships for early stage products in health, research, machine learning and search at Google, before joining Google Ventures. At Lux she has led the fund’s investments in companies like Mos, Shiru and Neo.
What’s in this episode?
1) Lux Capital’s investment approach of investing in category defining, frontier sectors
2) The way to build conviction across different disciplines and stages
3) Coming from an immigrant family and the way that impacts your investment style
4) Discussion around impact investing vs investing in companies benefiting humanity
5) Looking for grit, ambition and discipline in founding teams
You can reach us through our website or @getcced on Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, and Linkedin. Hosted by Enis Hulli and Rina Onur.
Rina is dedicated to increasing diversity in both entrepreneurial and investment communities globally. She has worked at all stages of new technology ventures over a period of 10 years – from formation to exit. She is a technology operator and investor veteran with expertise in the governance issues faced by high-growth technology firms.
Merit Valdsalu is the CEO of Single.Earth, which is a GreenTech company w
Markus Lember is the CEO of Montonio Finance, which is a next generation